Enchanting Havoc (formerly Garibay Soup)

has been moved to new address

http://enchantinghavoc.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Garibay Soup: Jayden Choked....and I panicked

Monday, March 31, 2008

Jayden Choked....and I panicked

It happened again. A child of mine choked. This time it was Jayden, and it was just as scary as the time with Ella. I bought him those real fruit roll ups that you find in the fruit section. You know, the ones that look like leather. He took a huge bite and swallowed. Didn't even chew it up. Luckily, Gino was home, because we all know from Ella's story how I react to a choking child. I look over at Jayden and see him arms flying around and grabbing at his throat. I PANIC! I run over stick my finger down his throat and can feel it back there. I start slamming on his back (I have no idea why) and shaking him and just causing havoc. My husband once again comes to the rescue. Pushes me away and does the Heimlich on him and wala Daddy saves the day. Poor guy afterwards sat on my lap scared to death saying, "Don't let me die again!" And I was just shaking and squeezing him. UGH it's so scary when they choke!

I am going to take a CPR class I promise. But I really don't know how it's going to help me, because no matter what I know I'll panic, my body will go numb and it will be a nightmare - it's just me.

So, my husband is my kids' hero. He's saved both of their lives.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised what a CPR class will do. Once you know what to do the instinct will come easier. We had to take one at the Hospital when Jacob was in there.

Another thing that helps me is to say a quick prayer for calmness and inspiration. It helps me think more objectively, even though I am panicked.

Anyway, I am so glad it all worked out ok - what a panick moment, I am afraid I would freeze...

March 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

If you take it over and over it becomes second nature. We had first aid every year as a prep for Girl's camp. Now when Evan or Harry has a need for first aide I can calmly do what is needed.

April 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home